Its been a busy busy month here at Stacey In Stitches. Between custom orders, bees and personal projects, I find time to go to work and clean the house somehow. I am lucky that my husband knows how to do dishes and laundry, or we would be wearing paper bags stuffed with newspaper, because it has been so cold and rainy here lately.
I ordered and received my Tula Pink City Sampler book. I ‘need’ to get some more fabric for it, and even though I haven’t started any blocks yet it is on my list. Right after the Dragon Quilt, a couple custom orders, and my Bee blocks.
For the Star Block Bee, I chose Swoon blocks. All my Hive-mates agreed to make one for me. I am very excited for this one, its going to be a large quilt. I chose a pallet based on the Broken Herringbone print from Madrona Road in Citrus. I ordered them online, and the colors coordinate really really well.
I am using a Free Spirit Designer Solid in Chona Brown for my background, it really makes the colors stand out. It is warm and the color is rich and saturated. I have never worked with a FreeSpirit solid, but so far I am very happy with it. The hand is quite soft and it irons nicely, the weight is really good, not as thick as a Kona, and a nice tight weave like an Art Gallery.
I have also been working my tail off with this years Hoffman Challenge Quilt. The challenge fabric is much more vibrant in person, the online swatches really do not do it justice. I decided to do another Dragon Quilt, this one on a smaller scale than before. The progress is good, everything is cut out, it just takes time to lay it all out. I will keep updating as it gets closer to the deadline.
I also participated in a side swap with my DQS partner on Flicker. She make me a beautiful crochet basket. Its massive and holds all my quilt books from the visit with my grandmother this weekend.
I made her a scrappy pillowcase. I used the Inverted Star Tutorial by Common Threads and enlarged it to make a 14″ pillowcase. The inside is lined and the zipper tape is enclosed. I forgot to take pictures of the inside/back before I sent it off. I used a large scrap of Grunge by Basic Grey for the background. It makes a nice background for a scrappy project, with just a hint of color and some great tone on tone movement. I free motion quilted the entire pillowcase.
I also had the great fortune to make it to the Free Motion Quilting workshop set up by the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild. I spent lots of time fiddling with my machine until the tension was just right, then away we go! I finished that project, more on it later.
I also made a Custom Toddler Backpack (back in May!) I don’t know how I forgot to write about it, but it turned out super cute and she is really happy with it. The fox applique I made myself, as well as the piping. The lining and piping is a Timeless Treasures print, and the canvas is water repellent. Very important when making things for little ones! I used the Toddler Backpack Tutorial from Crazy Little Projects and modified it slightlyby adding inside pockets, padded straps with webbing, and piping. You do have to be careful when cutting out the side panels, you want to measure the diameter of the bag before cutting to make sure they are long enough. It will vary depending on your curves.
Phew! Nice long recap! Lots of big stuff happening around here. Hopefully I will have much more progress on the Dragon Quilt to show you, and perhaps some Tula Pink blocks as well!
Until then, Happy Stitching!