A few months ago I got to play with some gorgeous new prints from a brand new FreeSpirit designer, Amy Reber. Her debut line, Posy, is a visual wonderland of bright bold prints and colors.
The three individual pallets are perfectly balanced and work well individually together or in a group quilt.
I wrote a free pattern for the line called Blossom. You can find it here. Blossom uses the Rosa color group, but you could easily swap out for Julep or Abelia, the other two color groups (aren’t those names just delicious?) There is a shop as well that is carrying the pattern as a premade kit!
I had a hard time trying to narrow down my favorite prints, they are all pretty great!
At the very top of my list is the main print – Bunches. It contains many of the individual elements in a gorgeous collage setting. This is the print I designed teh entire Blossom quilt around.
Then there is Perfect Petal. I love the purple hue, and the black and white is so striking!
Then of course is the Sunglow Stripe. All three colorways make perfect blenders.
With my bundle of Posy, I decided to make something quick and simple that would show off all the prints to their finest. I decided to use Half Rectangle Triangles. I feel like HRT are an underrepresented quilt block. They are super fun to make and showcase large prints to great effect.
Say hello to Terrace Garden!
The prints are showcased perfectly, and to soften the hard edges of the block shapes I used an all over swirling design for the quilting.
I used a dusty teal thread for the quilting that matched the prints.
A Stacey in Stitches Tutorial
1 F8 bundle of Posy by Amy Reber (24 prints) for HRT
3 yards Gray (FreeSpirit Designer Solid in Manatee) for background and binding
From each print cut:
(1) 6 3/4″ x 11 1/8″ rectangle (24 total)
From the gray solid cut:
(24) 6 3/4″ x 11 1/8″ rectangle
(1) 10 1/2″ x 36 1/2″ rectangle
(1) 10 1/2″ x 30 1/2″ rectangle
(1) 10 1/2″ x 24 1/2″ rectangle
(1) 10 1/2″ x 18 1/2″ rectangle
(1) 10 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ rectangle
(2) 6 1/2″ x 10″ rectangles
(7) 2 1/4″ x WOF strips for binding *to use a print binding you need 1/2 yard of fabric
All seam allowances are 1/4″. Press seams open.
1. Stack the print 6 3/4″ x 11 1/8″ rectangles right side up in groups of 6. Cut the rectangles in half on the diagonal as shown. Repeat with the gray solid.
2. Sew a gray HRT to a print HRT right sides together as shown. Press. Repeat for all gray and print HRT.
3. Using the layout diagram as a guide, sew the HRT and all gray rectangles together into rows. Press, then sew the rows together into the finished quilt top, matching seam allowances carefully.
4. Cut a backing approx 68″ x 78″. Layer the backing, batting, and top. Quilt as desired.
I am offering up a pair of precut Posy bundles that you can use to make your own Terrace Garden. Just add your own background fabric! I will be giving away one here, and the other on my Instagram account @staceyinstitches.
You can earn up to FOUR chances to win!
To Enter on the Blog:
Follow me here or on Instagram, and leave a comment on this post telling me where.
Leave a second comment telling me your favorite Posy print.
Follow Amy Reber @amyreberdesigns on Instagram and leave a third comment letting me know you’ve done so!
Share this post! Then leave a comment telling me where for a bonus entry!
If you follow me on Instagram you can enter on my IG post for a chance to win the second bundle.
That’s it! I will run the giveaway until Friday at 4pm PST. Winning fabric is a great way to kick off a summer weekend, don’t you think!